Get backup file from emulator

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I have a WP7 app called Standard Works that parses several large books from xml files. I would like to save the parsed book objects into my Sterling db so that the files don't have to be parsed each time the app runs.

The problem is, it takes waaaaaaaaaaay to long to save that much data to the db and it would be a really bad user experience.

What I would like to do is save it all to the db myself, use the backup function, then pull the backup file and ship it with the app so I could just use the restore function to populate the user's db. This would be lots faster!

How do I get my Sterling backup file out of the emulator? I don't want to have to write a service to upload the data if possible. Thanks for your help.

My apps: Standard Works & QuickNote

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM

The only practical way I know of this is to share the project to the desktop, and generate it there. The desktop reference program has an example of this. Basically, you should be able to share the code that loads it up, then call the backup method and pass it to the save file dialog. Then, you can embed that and restore it back to your project (again, the example is in the desktop but should work the same as far as sucking it into the isolated storage from an embedded resource).