Create db in WPF, save and consume in WP7?

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I discovered this project today, I am consuming all this as quickly as I can. I want to make sure I am pursuing the right things.

I need to take a stack of xml documents, and save them (in a simple structure) to a relational db with 3 or 4 tables.
I need to save that database so it can be opened (read only) by a wp7 app using the same classes/models.

Any gotcha's lurking there?

Can the wp7 app open from resources, or must it be in isolated storage?

Thanks,
Roger

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I don't have the WPF (i.e. desktop only) version yet, that's the last step for a 1.4 beta before going to a full 1.5 release. Typically the solution is to do desktop Silverlight to generate the database, then restore it on the phone... another way is to embed as JSON, CSV, or another format and parse it to generate the database. Pros and cons to both - the restore is more "invisible" (you sort of hand it off and wait) while the resource approach takes longer).

WP7 can open from resources, that's not a problem.

Jeremy

Developer
Apr 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Do you already know when the 1.5 release will be out? Not an exact date of course, just some time frame. I'm eager to use Sterling DB, but can't switch to Silverlight very easily, because I already have a lot of code in my WPF solution.

Thanks for your efforts Jeremy.

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Goal is to get 1.4 beta out this weekend. General rule of thumb I follow is that I don't go to release until all early adopters have reported in that they are using it successfully and then I've cleared out any bugs that may have come up. I'd guess around 2 weeks for that, certainly hope it will be by mid-May.

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM

PS beta will have all of the 1.5 full functionality ... only difference will be bug fixes ... and I always ensure backwards compatibility between formal releases (but not informal changesets).

So the supported releases will be/are:

1.0 - now

1.4 beta - starting this weekend with goal to include desktop support

1.5 - when released, target mid-May