Newbie Suggestions

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM
Edited Aug 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Here are some suggestions from the perspective of someone just learning about Sterling:

• Provide a downloadable copy of the Users Guide.
  • Truncate should be renamed to Clear.  Truncate means to make shorter, to ignore all items beyond a certain item, but here Sterling is completely clearing the table.
  • The User Guide QuickStart code examples refer to a "DatabaseService" but this is never defined and I can't find any reference to it yet.  I assume I'll learn what it is later, but why not have the quickstart examples be as clear and simple as possible and just use a database instance?
    (A Sterling "Service" is merely one approach for making sure logs are detached and the database engine is disposed when the application exits.  For an example of this approach see Sterling Service Example in this section.)
  • Why are you artificially constraining the database file path for Elevated Trust and .NET 4 applications?  Let the developer chose any allowed path they desire, not just a subpath.
    (Due to the way Purge works.  See: http://sterling.codeplex.com/discussions/266631)

Awesome project!  Which is why I'm using this discussion item to capture and share my thoughts as I get up to speed. 

Mark