Space occupied by a database instance

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Hi,

I am using the Sterling Database for storing a library of books in my WP7 ebook reader. Only one instance of the database is active at any one time.

I am observing some very strange behaviour of the App isolated storage, and would like to investigate further.

How can I find out (programmatically) how much space the instance occupies in Isolated Storage?

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2011 at 12:14 PM

That's a very good question - I'm not sure how to check this on the phone. I do know there is a utility that helps you monitor the space (Windows Phone 7 isolated storage explorer - http://wp7explorer.codeplex.com) that you can try.

Otherwise perhaps hosting the application in the desktop version and monitoring there, should be a fairly close translation to what's happening on the phone.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I have tried the isolated storage explorer, but it seems incapable of dealing with the database, specially under Mango.

Hosting in the desktop version of the app has been tried, but results are so different from what happens in Isolated Storage on the phone.

The problem I have is that IS apps seem to leak like a sieve. When I add data to the database the IS usage goes up to between 90 and 120Mb, but when I close the App and restart it the size of storage used is consistent with the number of books in the database.

It may simply be that the library call that returns the used isolated storage is not giving me the right value, or just about any other thing.

I am certain the problem is not with the database, but if I call Microsoft and report a bug, they probably will try and shift the blame on the database software…

Thank you anyway…

Paul G Mariotti

Sent: 25 August 2011 14:15
To: paul.mariotti@pgmariotti.net
Subject: Re: Space occupied by a database instance [sterling:270359]

That's a very good question - I'm not sure how to check this on the phone. I do know there is a utility that helps you monitor the space (Windows Phone 7 isolated storage explorer - http://wp7explorer.codeplex.com) that you can try.

Otherwise perhaps hosting the application in the desktop version and monitoring there, should be a fairly close translation to what's happening on the phone.