Future of Sterling

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I understand there is some frustration with some issues users have encountered with Sterling as well as implementaion of new features. I still think Sterling can serve a very valuable purpose for Windows Phone, Silverlight, and the new WinRT-based Windows 8 "Metro" style applications. For this reason, when I discovered I would not have as much time to dedicate to the project as I'd like and everyone who is using it deserves, I reached out to find an individual or team to help drive this.

I'm pleased to announce I have found a very skilled development team willing to take over this project. They will be more engaged after the holidays (this week) and I will provide more details. Obviously there will be some time to ramp up but overall I believe the change is positive - the new team along with the existing contributors should be able to proactively address issues, build features, and address future state for Sterling.

So, just wanted to share, this project is not being abandoned but will actually be getting far more attention this year. While my role will diminish as I work on various projects including a second book, I will still remain active to consult, advise, and provide any feedback/insights/help I can moving forward. I appreciate your patience and the support of the community and will share more details and provide introductions to the new team as they become more engaged with the project.

If you have any questions, please feel free to address them with this thread.

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Jeremy - Any updates on this?

Thanks

jack

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I'm reaching out to the team right now to see what I can find out.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:51 AM
Edited Feb 5, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Jeremy, I would like to participate in the future development of Sterling, in particular in enabling the database to run in the WinRT environment. I am converting my WP7 apps to Metro, and Sterling will complement them perfectly.

Please let me know if you are interested in my collaboration.

Paul G Mariotti

paul.mariotti@twodollarapps.com

http://www.twodollarapps.com

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM

This is great, thanks for the support. I'm coordinating with the new team now and we'll announce more details shortly. In short, I have a team that will be taking over the bulk of development effort (they will still work with me and the existing team) and also are focused specifically on making the port to WinRT. We are sorting out some details now but I should be able to make an announcement very soon. Paul, we are a distributed team so I believe all contributions will be appreciated and highly accepted so we'll keep you in mind as we discuss the logistics of moving forward. Thanks!

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Here's one more hoping to see some development with this project. I've used Sterling in WP7 development and I must say that in its current form it is just a step away from being great. It's the only NoSQL DB for the platform and the ability to use Linq everywhere is an excellent feature.

Unfortunately I'm seeing similar issues as some other users, where the database gets corrupted. I've encountered both this and this and because of these issues using Sterling as the data source isn't as clear option as it should be.

Here's couple things I would like to see happen with Sterling:

-IsolatedStorageDriver fixes. Making sure that the DB doesn't get corrupted. It's better to lose some Saves / Updates than lose the whole DB.

-Move the project from Codeplex to GitHub to really open it up for the community. Or, if the GitHub isn't an option, change the SVN to Mercurial so that the project can be forged.

-Maybe SQL CE could be used as the storage for better reliability / performance? So, perhaps SQLCeDriver could be added next to the IsolatedStorageDriver.

Best regards,

Mikael Koskinen

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Any updates?  Sorry to harrass but I've really starting implementing Sterling into the vNext of my SL based software and I'm having issues with all the async processing and having threading issues with reads/writes happening all over the place in the background.

I'm hoping for guidance / tweaks etc.

Thanks

jack