Sterling Future

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I'm just posting this to keep everyone up to date. So far negotiations with some development teams simply haven't worked out. I am working on a second book (Windows 8 Metro XAML / C#) development which has limited my time, but I am very aware of some of the issues there and am committed to working out a solution to improve the database. At this point some key items I am looking for include:

* Improving file storage to use fewer files and directories to increae performance

* Adding atomicity to transactions to reduce possibility of a correct database state

* Add versioning to make it easier to update entities stored

* Migrate Sterling to Windows 8 C# (I doubt I will migrate it to WinRT but that is a possibility, and if you're not sure about what the difference is we can discuss in more detail)

I may be able to take on some of these tasks myself but help is always appreciated. If you know anyone who has extensive experience working with high performance file system access and/or a strong knowloedge of the Windows Runtime, let me know as I am open to considering new team members to help push this forward. The goal will be to have parity between Silverlight 5, Windows Phone 7.x and 8, and Windows 8 with a solution that is not a replacement for a relational database but provides fast, local access for internal databases and storage and does it in a stable way.

Thanks!

May 3, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Hi Jeremy.

I would be interested in trying to convert Sterling to a WinRT/Metro environment. I have used and I am using the database in some of my Windows Phone 7 apps, and I am converting one of the apps to Metro. I should be able to start looking at a possible conversion by the end of May 2012.

Let me know if you are interested...

Paul G Mariotti

May 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Any interest from Telerik as sponsoring the project as one of their open source items.  They have a few *free* things.   I would bet it would only take a few days to throw together an implementation layer such that the OpenAccess could be deployed on a client.  Their entire process is linq driven.

They have already blogged a number of times about using Sterling with a number of sample apps...

I'm going to enter a ticket on their end but you never know...

Jack

Developer
Aug 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Edited Aug 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Any updates on this? I noticed the last commit is from well over a year ago.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I was also tired from slow progress of Sterling. In spare time I wrote an alternative: Lex.Db. Check out my blog: http://lexblog.azurewebsites.net

1) Performance

2) Support of all current .NET plarforms

3) Better storage

4) Active development

Developer
Dec 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Edited Dec 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I'd say, more database options is definitely good. I have recently received access to the code from Jeremy and have started updating Sterling so it can handle type changes (name changes, added/removed properties, etc). This has been checked in, but I still need to document how it works.

After that, I'm hoping I can continue development together with Jeremy so we can revive Sterling and make it work for WinRT etc.

Developer
Jan 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I just released Sterling 1.6, which now supports changing your classes (adding, removing and renaming properties) and adding new classes. You can find more information here. Let us know if you encounter any problems.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Does the Sterling 1.6 version support Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8?

Developer
Jan 28, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I believe it should, although I haven't tested it myself. But as only code files have changed in 1.6 compared to 1.5, I don't believe it should be a problem.

You might also want to read this discussion. As Sterling 1.6 now no longer relies on the order of the properties, I would think this is solved. But don't hesitate to share your experiences.

Developer
Feb 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM
We're working on this. We'll keep you posted.
Feb 17, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Couple of questions:

1 - Will there be a NuGet update for 1.6.x ?

2 - I know it is hard to make comments /wo setting expectations but is there a 'state of the union' update coming on the future support/plans?

Thanks - Very glad to see some forward progress.

jack
Developer
Feb 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Hi jaddington,

thanks for your interest in Sterling. I will try to make a NuGet package shortly.

At the moment, no major updates will be made to the current SterlingDB (1.6.x). Josh is currently working on a significant update targeting .NET 4.5, WinRT and WP8. As soon as we can tell you more, we'll post it.

Peter
Developer
Feb 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM
There's a new release (1.6.2) and it has a NuGet package. Just search for Sterling in your NuGet explorer, and you'll find it.
Feb 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Beautiful... I plugged it in. Thx
Dec 11, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Just stumbled upon this thread while looking for alternatives for SQLCE as I move towards WP8.1.

Is this project still under development? I also noticed Lex.db which seems to have a bit more recent activity.
Developer
Dec 11, 2014 at 12:07 PM
The current SterlingDB code is hosted on GitHub. However, it has been more than a year since its last commit. Maybe it works sufficiently for Wintellect, or maybe they don't have as many projects on .net/Windows/Windows Phone. I personally worked a bit on SterlingDB but am not part of the Wintellect team.

Personally, I find activity in a project quite important so I would definitely check out Lex.db. I haven't used it yet so I can't say how good it works. But it does look promising.

You might try to reach out to Jeremy if you want to know more about what's happening on SterlingDB.