Sterling Viewer

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Is is possible to create a viewer that I could point at my Sterling repository and have it display what's in there? Ideally I'd like to the ability to figure out what's in there without querying for specific entities/types. Is it possible to enumerate all the types stored in the repository and then iterate through the instances of a type in a viewer somehow? Anybody have any examples to start with?

Jul 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I think it would be possible. I've had the idea myself, but haven't had the time to look into it (and won't have in the immediate future). What I think it should do is load the dll with your types, then check the file containing the persisted types. And with that information, it could read the files containing the persisted objects. I'm sure it would be an interesting project, but again, I'm short on time. Also, it might be more interesting to implement it for Sterling 2.
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Thanks for the info Peter.

I found the GetTableDefinitions method but I ran into issues getting from the type as a string to something I could instantiate and pass to retrieve the objects in the repository.

Currently I'm sticking with the 1.x version since I'm targeting .NET 4.0 but I'll have to look at 2.x closer. It seems like the communication/advertising with 2.x has been lacking. When I google "Sterling OODB" it still takes me to the CodePlex site. Is there plans to create additional documentation on the differences between 1.x and 2.x and what if any are the breaking changes with migrating? I didn't even see any links from the CodePlex site to the GitHub repository.